Sticking to my goal this week to actually make a few of the recipes I've pinned from Pinterest I made Macaroni & Con Queso with Roasted Chiles inspired by a pin of Macaroni Con Queso from the blog Will Cook for Food.
Although the one pinned looked pretty fab I knew that we would love it even more if we roasted the jalapenos added some poblano and used a mixture of 4 cheeses instead of 4. And boy was I right.
Now if you are not a fan of spice I don't recommend this recipe but if you are and you love good ole' homemade mac & cheese you must make this. It was the bomb or rather maybe "the firecracker."
I started by roasting the jalapeno and poblano under the broiler. And then letting them steam in a paperbag before slicing them up. You could remove the seeds and ribs of the chiles to bring down the heat a bit but I didn't do that.
Next I shredded our 4 cheese choices
and then gathered all the ingredients together.
While boiling the pasta I started the cheese sauce. It all came together pretty simply. Now since this is not a classic bechamel sauce that is usually used in a mac & cheese recipe you'll notice the cheese is very stringy and kind of clumpy but is also pretty wonderful if you like your mac & cheese really cheesy like I do.
Great stuff, your mouth will definitely be woken up by this that's for sure but the flavor is great.
Our adapted recipe:
Macaroni & Con Queso with Roasted Chiles
1 lb. corkscrew pasta cooked as directed on box
1 Cup shredded medium cheddar
1/2 Cup shredded sharp white cheddar
1/2 Cup shredded monteray jack cheese
1/2 Cup shredded pepper jack cheese
2 Tblspn. butter
3 jalapeno peppers
1 poblano chile
1/2 white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup milk
Crushed red pepper to taste
1. Roast chiles under broiler until blackened. Let steam in paper bag. Remove skins and finely chop.
2. Prepare pasta as directed on box. Drain.
3. While pasta is cooking add butter, onion, and garlic to pan until softened. Stir in corn and chiles and turn off heat.
4. In small bowl combine milk and sour cream. Add to the pot turning heat back to low. While stirring add cheese mixture on handful at a time, stirring until fully melted. Sauce will be stringy. If too stringy or clumpy add a bit more milk until desired consistency.
5. Stir in pasta and serve topping with crushed red pepper to taste.