These days finding comfort is on our minds and in our hearts. And no surprise to most finding comfort foods fits right in there in our quest.
Several years ago we were introduced to this recipe for Chicken Posole by Cooking Light made with tomatillos and hominy....its a good one and definitely one of our most favorite go to soups.
Chicken soup for the soul Mexican style.
Of course as with most original recipes we make again and again we tweak them over time and make them ours.
For this one we opt to roast the tomatillos under the broiler as opposed to boiling them to get that fire roasted flavor in the soup. Tomatillos are surrounded by a husk that leaves a sticky residue on the tomatillo. Even after rinsed they feel slightly sticky.
This time around I had actually made some homemade chicken stock from the carcase of the rotisserie chicken that I bought to use for the shredded chicken.
Into the stock we add garlic, onions & jalapeno.
The tomatillos are pureed in the food processor and then added to the stock with the shredded chicken and hominy.
We typically serve it with chopped avocado and a dollop of Mexican crema, a squeeze of fresh lime and a bit of chopped cilantro.
Good, good stuff!
A side note: for the record we did a post of this soup almost a year ago but it didn't include the recipe and although my photos are still far from professional these ones are significantly improved. You can follow this link to compare. (As frustrated as I get with myself at not getting Foodgawker & Tastespotting worthy photos very often at least they've improved some.)
Recipe Link for Chicken Posole from Cooking Light
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 6 cups Brown Chicken Stock
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 pounds chicken breast halves, skinned
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 (30-ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 lime wedges
- Discard husks and stems from the tomatillos. Cook whole tomatillos in boiling water 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Place tomatillos in a blender; process until smooth; set aside.
- Place stock and the next 5 ingredients (stock through hominy) in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from bones; shred. Stir in pureed tomatillos and salt; cook for 5 minutes or until heated. Stir in chicken, and serve with cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.