Why we started this idea????

A passion for food, wine, friends and entertaining is a big part of our life. This is a way for us to document our experiences, passion for food & life and also share it with others.




Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Muffins



Bakers we are not!

But there is one thing we both do really love that is baked from the oven and that is blueberry muffins. We've been making a recipe from the good ole' Betty Crocker cookbook for blueberry muffins with a streusel topping for longer than we've been married that we crave. But we haven't made them in years.

So when I came across this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Ricotta pound cake from Trials in Food on Foodgawker I thought, mmmm....I bet I could make these into muffins for breakfast. 

So I researched the difference in cooking times from a cake to cupcakes and decided to go for it.


I used all whole wheat flour.


They from the start were pretty goopy. But not being much of a baker I wasn't sure really what to expect. My research found recommended cooking the muffin for 25-30 minutes as opposed to the 80 minutes that was used in the Trials in Food post. I actually ended up cooking close to 45 minutes in the end.


The came out not quite what I was expecting compared to other photos I had seen. Maybe it was the whole wheat flour, who knows.


But they tasted delish. 


Dense but moist and complete.


I am pretty sure that stick and a half of butter had something to do with that.

I think it may have helped if I would have read the post from the original Simply Recipes because she recommended making sure all of your ingredients were at room temperature before preparing. This may have helped with the appearance of my muffins. 

RECIPE:

Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Muffins (adapted from Trials in Food from Simply Recipes)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup  ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar 
3 large eggs
1 tbsp lemon zest 
1 cup  blueberries 

Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare muffin tin, line with cupcake wrappers.

 In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Use an electric mixer (you can mix by hand but will get better results if you use an electric mixer) to beat together the butter, ricotta, and sugar, on high speed, for 3 minutes, until pale and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, mixing on medium speed for one minute after each addition. Mix in the lemon zest and vanilla extract. Don’t worry if the batter looks a little curdled at this point. It isn’t curdled, it just looks that way.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the dry ingredients in 3 or 4 additions, until just incorporated. Do not over mix. Stir in the blueberries.

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, smoothing out the top with a rubber spatula. Place on a baking sheet on the middle oven rack of the oven. (This will help moderate the temperature at the bottom of the pan. I didn’t do this) Bake for 25-30 minutes (I baked for about 45 min), or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes in the pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear about your favorite meals, restaurants, or wines, as well as anything else you'd like to share.....