Happy Valentine's Day!
When you spend the majority of your hours in an Elementary school you can't help but getting caught up in the excitement of Valentine's Day. For so many kids this so called Hallmark holiday is more exciting than even Christmas.
Especially the primary aged kiddos, they love making their Valentine envelopes and bringing their cards & treats (now more treats than cards) for their friends. The joy and happiness they get from opening their cards from friends is catching.
I think any reason that encourages you to shower folks with love and appreciation is a good thing. So when I found this recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes for just two people on the Baker Chick's blog I was ecstatic. I love cupcakes and even better red velvet cupcakes. But with just 2 of us I never make either.
Not only were the cupcakes moist and delicious cleaning up after only making two cupcakes was so much easier and faster than after making a full batch...I may always only make 2 cupcakes from here on out.
Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two ( from The Baker Chick)
2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tablespoon sour cream
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon red food coloring
1 egg white
3 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt.
2 oz. cream cheese- softened
2 tablespoons of butter- softened
1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a second small bowl or spouted measuring cup, combine the melted butter and sugar. Stir until well-combined.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla, vinegar, food coloring and egg white, and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir till combined- being careful not to over-mix.
- Divide batter between two cupcake liners Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- For the Frosting:
- Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. add the vanilla and powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time and mix until frosting is free of lumps, creamy and spreadable.